We took a lot of time to compile the best 6 Pixel Art courses, classes, tutorials, online certificates and trainings into a list for you. We recommend that you check out multiple Pixel Art online courses trailers to get a better feel for each teaching style. Our Pixel Art resources ranking is based on aspects like price (free vs paid), difficulty level, the number of students, duration and instructor. Also, many courses are great for beginners as well as experts.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, visit my disclosure page.
Best Pixel Art Courses
- Make Amazing Pixel Art for Games (Techniques + Principles)
- Produce Professional Pixel Art for Your New Game
- Pixel Art Fundamentals: Create Pixel Art for Games
- Create Great Pixel Art for Video Games (Intro to Advanced)
- Pixel Art Master Course – Beginner to Professional/Freelance
- Pixel Art Mastery: The #1 course on retro video game art
Make Amazing Pixel Art for Games (Techniques + Principles)
This comprehensive course will teach beginners about creating Pixel Art. You’ll learn simple techniques and principles that help you create amazing game artwork. All classes on the platform also let you download a certification.
The Make Amazing Pixel Art for Games (Techniques + Principles) course is available on Udemy and taught by Benjamin Anderson a Game Maker, Game Designer and Teacher. You cannot go wrong with this course, more than 16,170 students have enrolled so far.Skills you will learn
- Learn to use shapes, values, and edges
- How to design a basic palette (color theory)
- Learn to animate art using key frames
- Mockup your games before designing
- Become a better designer
The class is great if you want to learn more about pixel art. You should take it if you are an artistic person who wants to break into video game design. Also have a look at our best game design courses.
Duration: A little more than 5 hours
Produce Professional Pixel Art for Your New Game
This Udemy class covers the foundations of Pixel Art design. These are concepts that will be covered: getting started, creating probs, animation, background design and game maps. At the end of the class, you can download a certificate of completion.
The Produce Professional Pixel Art for Your New Game course is available on Udemy and taught by Jaysen Batchelor an illustrator and designer. A very popular course with more than 68,000 students.Skills you will learn
- Learn to design professional pixel art
- How to animate your art for video games
- Understand the foundations of shape, color, and value
- Learn to produce incredible art for your games
This class is excellent for students looking to learn to create amazing pixel art and animation. You should take this class if you want to improve your design skills. Want more? Checkout the best animation online courses.
Duration: More than 4 hours
Pixel Art Fundamentals: Create Pixel Art for Games
In this class, beginners will discover the principles of Pixel Art design for games. Besides gaining valuable hands-on experience with Pixel Art, beginners will also discover light and color, spiriting a character and background design. The certification will be useful to show off your new Pixel Art skills.
The Pixel Art Fundamentals: Create Pixel Art for Games course is available on Skillshare and taught by Matheus Dix a designer and pixel artist. The number of students goes up every week, at the moment there are 7,200 students signed up.Skills you will learn
- Learn about pixel art design
- How to design amazing backgrounds
- Learn core concepts of game design
- How light and color can work together
- Spriting a character
- Creating a full project for your portfolio
This course is ideal for students who want to start designing pixel art for their own video games.
Create Great Pixel Art for Video Games (Intro to Advanced)
For those who are looking for an introductory Pixel Art course this might be it. The course includes a variety of sessions such as lineart, shading, color theory, working with tiles, animation and more. You can download a certification after finishing the Pixel Art course.
The Create Great Pixel Art for Video Games (Intro to Advanced) course is available on Udemy and taught by Marco Vale a video game artist. The instructor is very popular and has more than 18,000 students signed up for the course.Skills you will learn
- Learn the foundations for creating amazing pixel art
- Create stunning shading
- Learn to build video-game mockups
- Create characters
- Learn to animated characters
- Create tiles in the RPG style
The course is a great choice for video game developers who want to create their own art. You should take the course if you are a creative person looking for an interesting career.
Duration: Almost 12 hours
Pixel Art Master Course – Beginner to Professional/Freelance
This Udemy online class will take beginners through the fundamental concepts of Pixel Art creation chapter by chapter. Some of the concepts explored in this class are: lines, shapes, shading, textures, tiles, backgrounds and character design. This Udemy class also has a certification.
The Pixel Art Master Course – Beginner to Professional/Freelance course is available on Udemy and taught by Mislav Majdandžić a game artist and game maker. The course is very popular and currently has more than 13,600 subscribers.Skills you will learn
- Learn to create simple and complex pixel art
- Discover objects, characters, environment and animations
- Create your own game prototypes
- Where to find clients and how much to charge
- Get access to the teachers discord server
We recommend the course for game developers who want to learn to create artwork for their own games. You should take this class if you are a beginner or new pixel artist and want to take your skills to the next level.
Duration: More than 16 hours
Pixel Art Mastery: The #1 course on retro video game art
This series of courses helps students discover Pixel Art video game design. It provides an overview and covers concepts such as color palettes, creating an isometric building, animated props, mockups and characters. Udemy offers a certification for this course.
The Pixel Art Mastery: The #1 course on retro video game art is available on Udemy and taught by Jacob Giordano a Pixel Artist, Animator, Illustrator, Designer and Front-end Dev. Many students have already signed up so far there are 2,302 students.Skills you will learn
- Learn to create professional quality pixel art
- How to use Photoshop for your pixel art
- Discover animation techniques
- Learn advanced concepts such as anti-aliasing and dithering
- Create stunning color palettes
This course is for students who want to improve their pixel art and animation skills. Students could take this course to work on their creative portfolio.
Duration: Around 17 hours
We hope you also fell in love with Pixel Art. This was our list of the best Pixel Art online classes, programs, courses with a certificate of completion. Also useful are our best adobe illustrator courses. Did we forget a good resource? Please, let us know. Cheers to your success!